Thursday, December 11, 2008

Kobe Luminaries

Every year since 1996, the city of Kobe has created a new spectacle of christmas lights over the main street. Each year the design changes. They do it in honor of the 1995 Earthquake. I decided to go visit my Japanese imooto (sister) and we could see it together.
WOW, was it amazing. I never realized so many lights can be on one street above me at a time. Since Japan is heavily populated, in order to get to the illuminary street, we had to walk for an hour on a street path in order to get to the main road. Pretty cool that now I get to say I have literally walked the streets of Kobe. It was freezing, miserable, but fun. We had to stop a few times in order for the pedestrian crossway... even though we were pedestrians too! Once, a car was stuck in the parking deck and the security guards had to work on getting the car out of the road... that took a while but was pretty fun to watch.
Then, once we got to the luminary road, the temperature went back up! All those lights really do warm up a place. At the end of the road was a giant palace structure made out of all lights. I felt like I was in the cartoon movie Anastasia.
It was a lot of fun and my sister and I enjoyed laughing at each other's red noses.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Those are such gorgeous lights. I can't believe it!