Friday, December 5, 2008

Hiroshima

The weekend after Tokyo, my brother and I went to Hiroshima on a day trip.

It was amazing.

Living in the United States I understood the Atomic Bomb, but I had really only considered the positives that came from it being dropped twice in Japan. After visiting Hiroshima, I now think about both the good and the horrible that came from the A-bomb. The Peace Memorial Museum really captured the essence of all the innocent victims in the city, and those still suffering. The park was beautiful and I enjoyed looking at all the children's art made from origami cranes, that all put together, can create a crazy good picture. We also visited the A-bomb dome, which is the only still surviving building from the bomb.

We also took a break from the gruesome and saw the large torii gate in the water at Miyajima Island as well as Itsukushima Shrine. There were also deer that just happened to be much cuter than the deer in Nara, but a little more feisty. I took a picture of a Japanese boy giggling because the deer just ate his map and were arguing over which piece they got to eat.

No comments: